I work across a wide variety of embroidery techniques from hand and machine embroidery styles, appliqué, printing and dyeing to surface embellishment, basketry and felting in both 2D and 3D forms. The use of colour and design and different methods of processing designs are an integral part of my work practice. My work is largely inspired by the natural environment but I also love doing figurative pieces. Exploring techniques and skills based in traditional practices and using them to realise their potential in contemporary embroidery is a passion.
My formal qualifications include; MFA, Newcastle University, 2006, B.A., Deakin University, Victoria, 1998 with a Major in Literary Studies and other Units taken in Children’s Literature, Communications and Cultural Studies.; Dip. Teach with Distinction, University of Technology, Sydney, 1991; Higher Certificate in Fashion Technology, East Sydney Technical College 1988: Fashion Technology Certificate, Newcastle Technical College, NSW 1986; and various Art, Textile, and Information Technology Courses.
My initial interest was in Fashion and I worked as a teacher of Fashion for NSW TAFE for 10 years. I currently work part time with NSW Department of Education, mainly in the area of Textiles and Design and teach at the Embroiderers’ Guild of NSW as well
as conduct freelance workshops for both adults and children. Other means of earning a living in the arts and crafts have included selling through a craft co-operative, galleries and gift shops, commissions, market stalls, Craft Shows, dressmaking and exhibiting Artworks at various galleries locally, nationally and internationally.
Awards and Prizes
- Tasmanian Art Quilt Prize; Selected as a finalist, won runner-up prize
- 2002 Margaret Oppen Memorial Prize 1st prize for Tutors and past winners Embroiderers’ Guild NSW Inc., October 2002 Work: “Contemplation” Machine Embroidered, Felted Nude
- “One Step Further” Contemporary Quilt Show, Swan Hill Regional Gallery, Victoria, Best of Show, Nov-Dec 2001 Work: “Drawn & Quartered 2 – The Blonde & the Brunette”, Shibori dyeing techniques, machine & hand embroidery, beading and appliqué.
- “Powerhouse Museum International Lace for Fashion Awards”, Selected as a finalist, July – Oct 2000 Work: “Arthropoda” Evening gown of Machine Embroidered lace insects and cobwebs.
- Margaret Oppen Memorial Prize 1st prize Embroiderers’ Guild NSW Inc., October 2000 Work: “Nude Study 5”, Shibori dyeing techniques on silks, machine and hand embroidery, appliqué and beading, Machine stitched and painted mulberry paper border.
- Braemar Gallery Banner Acquisition prize, July 2000 Work: “Drawn & Quartered” 2 metre shaped nude banner designed to hang on the Gallery veranda. Appliqué, painting, machine & hand embroidery.
- “Art in the Mountains 2000“, Blue Mountains Art Prize, won Open section, June 2000 Work: “Standing Still Dancing” basketry sculpture with coiled palm branches and fruiting stalks, barramundi skin and seaweed.
- “Norse wear Art Awards”, New Zealand, Wool and Fibre Section, Merit Award – April 2000 Work: “Land of Contrasts”, Wall Quilt printed, painted, appliquéd, machine and hand embroidery, applied objects and sculptural quilting.